CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Local Media





While getting a read on local media coverage of the Hurricane Katrina disaster, I came across third rated WKBW's link to their podcast. Oh Boy! They're sooo cutting edge!


"The latest buzz word in the Internet world is "podcast," and WKBW is proud to be on the forefront of this emerging technology. In short, podcasts are MP3 audio programs that are available to be downloaded onto your computer and transferred to an iPod or any portable media device that supports MP3s. It can also be played right on your computer."

Does the podcast include a bucket of chicken wings, hot, extra blue cheese and a pair of zuba pants?

"WKBW Podcasts

What is a Podcast?
A podcast is a short audio file containing news or entertainment information. Because it is in MP3 format, you can listen to it right on your computer or download it to a portable music player like an IPod and take it with you.

How do I get it?"


Shouldn't the question be "Why would I want it?" If you live in the area, turn on your damn TV set and you'll get your fill of their idiocy complete with commercials. Aside from out-of-town nostalgia folks (a very limited audience) I can't see anybody wanting to hear about pistol packing punks or fires in the City. Not that I've watched local news recently.

Bottom line, Podcasting is handy for taking programs with you that aren't locally available e.g. Alex Jones or late night talk shows like Coast to Coast AM. It also democratizes and levels the playing field for those who can't get a show on a radio station. Why on earth, other than for promotional purposes, would a local TV station want to air an audio version of their schlock is beyond me.

2 comments:

Harry Ballicker said...

WKBW Pud Pod is... "Your Homely Homo Hometown Disadvantage" to go.

I have a 40G on my I-pod and wouldn't waste a millibyte on that crap. I'd rather record my own fart noices to listen to when I'm bored of 10,000,000,000 songs.
Love seeing Irv the Perv, Anchordude!

Anonymous said...

Since a good number of the local anchors have been stuck, I mean working, in this market for 30+ years it's like watching one of those pictures at a fun house where a young girl turns into an old woman right before your eyes. For example, Kevin O'Connell has turned from a svelt young white man into an old obese chinese man. Similarly, Susan Banks has turned into Skeletor

 
hockey fights at hockeyfights.com