CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tops v. Wegmans




*Cease and desist this, douchebags!

I'm of your demographic--female, over 30 but under 60 years old. I've written to you in past to express my displeasure but you basically ignored me with your pat answers. My complaints were in reference to the bogus self-checkout and the lawn furniture and other assorted crap that gets in the way of me and my feedbag. The *only* reasons that I still venture into your store is that it is about a mile away from me and your Bonus Card/Spy Shopper cards allow me to accrue points so I can save *a little* off of my gas bill when I pay to pump gas at your filling stations. But those points don't accrue continually, which I think is downright bullshit and does nothing to promote customer loyalty. Not that you care about that.
My heart really belongs to Wegmans aka "Smegmans". Smegs rules. Hands down! How do I love thee Smegs? Let me count the ways:

  1. Although your newer stores are insanely behemoth, overall your presentation, abundance of product, and lay out are great.
  2. Your cheese shops, deli, produce, and take out are the shiznit! Everything is attractively presented, fresh, and tasty.
  3. Your international wares rule. I learn so much when I shop at Smegs. Who knew that Israeli feta is better than Greek or even French feta cheese?
  4. When I leave your stores, I feel as if I have lots of great stuff to make and/or try when I get home.
I could go on and on but you get the point--quality merchandise that looks and tastes great. I spent about $130 (for one person's week or so worth of groceries) but I found so many unique items. Some were organic so they cost a little more. Every penny that I spend there is worth it. Tops quality is sorely lacking. Their deli sucks ass. I know when I order take out at Wegmans that it always tastes good. There's no self-check out at Smegs. Their peeps are proactive and make sure the lines are moving.

I should know better than to shop mid-morning on a Sunday but I can never get to Wegmans. It's just not close enough to burn the gas. But today I had an excuse--I had to visit Bed Bath and Your Uncle and BJ's. Both are pretty close to Smegs. It's a huge store and they give you equally gigundous shopping carts. This makes maneuvering around big Buffalonians a tough task. Smegs offers free samples. Great--but the trouble is the mooches clog up the aisles and get in my way. They're a lot more into the seasonal merchandise than they used to be. I wish they'd just stick to food and beverage. Trader Joe's is awesome because they have high quality without the lawn furniture. Kudos to them, I wish they were here.

Wegmans is a real WNY treasure. I realize they are now located in several other states. As long as the quality remains the same, it's all good by me. Tops is like that nasty neighborhood girl that guys befriend just to get some in a pinch. Not much in the way of quality but it'll do.

p.s. sidebar--I saw Jodi Johnston from Ch. 2 at Smegs. Her son was pushing a cart and I saw this atypical tall thin woman not far behind. I looked at her with that puzzled "Where do I know you from?" face. Then it clicked and it clicked again as I realized that I haven't watched Ch. 2 news in years!!
----------------
Now playing: The Clash - Lost in the Supermarket
via FoxyTunes

0 comments:

 
hockey fights at hockeyfights.com