CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Documentary

I've been a fan of documentary films for a long time. In the last couple of years the genre has been receiving the notice that it deserves. In large part, fans have Michael Moore to thank whether or not they agree with how he accomplishes his goals. Nonetheless, before I dozed off last night I had a chance to watch Persons of Interest, a documentary which is airing on the Sundance Channel. They're airing a lot of other interesting documentaries this month, check it out! Persons addresses people who were arrested in the days following 9/11. More than 5000 were deemed "persons of interest" by the U.S. Department of Justice. 12 detainees and some of their family members talk to the filmmakers about mistreatment, denial of legal counsel, and deportation. This was a consequence of a skittish U.S. population that was willing to assist authorities in profiling efforts. The first person they spoke to was Salem Jaffar who apparently was turned in on 9/13/01 by Burger King employees in Depew, NY which is a suburb about 15 miles outside of Buffalo, NY. I live in the Buffalo area and didn't recall hearing about this case. Maybe because the local media doesn't do its job? The Lackawanna Six case was broken by the New York Times if I'm not mistaken. It's sad that I have to watch a documentary to find out what happened in my own backyard *3 years ago*!

1 comments:

Harry Ballicker said...

Irv Weinstein would have covered it!! I miss the Clipper (RIP)

 
hockey fights at hockeyfights.com