CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

WMA Syndrome

No, what I'm writing about hasn't been diagnosed as a bona fide disease that you need to fear catching. Just be afraid if you're exposed to it. "WMA Syndrome" is a phrase that I've coined due to something that I've noticed over the last few years. "WMA" stands for Wipe My Ass. It's name was partially inspired by an old college prof who taught literature courses with life discussions on the side. He marveled over how individuals can be so helpless. One day he went off on a rant and said in a patronizing way "...this is how you you wipe your ass..." and made the hand/butt motion. It made me laugh and stuck with me. Anyway, now that I'm a real grown-up I get what Marv was trying to say. Here's how it works in my line of work reference librarian in a public facility. I am a public servant who is committed to assist our patrons in every way possible. Public libraries are one of the last institutions where everyone is treated equally and all that is required is to walk in and have a desire to learn. I take pride in helping people manuever in our catalog and databases. I enjoy teaching people how to fully take advantage of what their tax dollars pay for. What I don't enjoy is wiping their asses. Unfortunately, the consumer mentality is becoming entirely too pervasive. Examples of this include people who are looking for information about an involved topic and expect to find it neatly packaged and ready for them to grab off the shelf. Complex research isn't like shopping for a new outfit. It takes time and work on the part of the individual. Why is it that someone's expiring parking meter or typical "it's due tomorrow" deadline have to become my problem? Why do people feel that free computer use and Internet access means that a public library has turned into Kinko's/computer lab? You wouldn't believe how many people try to turn you into their lackey because they're unwilling to learn how to do something. God forbid you suggest that they look at books on using Microsoft Word. The library provides the tools, the user provides the expertise. Unfortunately, we can't spend intensive time teaching. It used to be easier when we could tell the public about free computer courses that the library offered. Due to Erie County's budget problems, those classes are no longer being held.
I just wish the peeps would take responsibility for themselves. I have enough to worry about.

0 comments:

 
hockey fights at hockeyfights.com