CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 24, 2008

I'm Getting to the Point Where...


The Buffalo Brewfest moved its annual event to the HSBC arena. All the other venues that they've used in the past have been too small and overcrowded. Ahh the arena...spreading out so far and wide. Not. They opted to use the hallway rather than the wide open space that the arena would have provided. I'd like to know who the brain surgeon was that decided to advertise the event on rock radio (which guaranteed frat boy mook douches would attend in droves) and then stuff everyone into a hallway. I felt like I was back in college at Goodbar getting that simulated birth canal feeling as I carefully navigate a crowd of drunks. My sinuses were acting up and the air conditioning was trumped by the sheer volume of people. All in all I tried some good beers e.g. McNeil's Scottish Ale (cask condition) from Flying Bison and Cascazilla from Ithaca Beer Company along with a few stouts and porters from vendors that I'd have to look up. We escaped to the upper level to get some air periodically. I'm trying not to be too much of a fuddy duddy but I'm at the point that where I'm less tolerant. My co-worker who I hung out with at this event lets his love of beer outweigh his hatred of crowds. He's older than I am so good for him. Anyway, when serving quality microbrews, allow participants to spread out and sit down if need be. Don't bother with a dj who plays shitty music. Make the event civilized and the frat boys will either get the idea or leave.

As someone who has to interact with the public, I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of people's bad manners and lack of consideration dominate. I'm in the middle of helping someone. Another patron interrupts to let me know that they're done with something and leaving it on the book truck next to my desk. They want to use my pen when we have free golf pencils for them to use and a machine that dispenses pens for 0.25. I tend to be on the Howard Hughes and Howard Stern side and don't like germy strangers touching my belongings. I buy my own pens and bring them to work because the office supply pens are lame.

Democracy Now reported on Trouble the Water ,which chronicles the Roberts before during and after Katrina. Kimberly and her husband Scott were 9th ward residents of New Orleans. Kimberly, an aspiring rapper, purchased a video camera off the street days before the storm and shot some amazing footage. They met the directors of Trouble while staying at a Red Cross shelter. They agreed to let the directors follow them as they rebuilt their lives. Kimberly's insider footage is powerful. The film opened in L.A. and N.Y. I hope it comes to Buffalo, I'd really like to see it. The Roberts tell how they tried to get shelter at a nearby military barracks but were turned away during the storm! Recalling Katrina puts my beer tasting complaints into perspective.

----------------
Now playing: Louis Armstrong - Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans
via FoxyTunes

0 comments:

 
hockey fights at hockeyfights.com