CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 05, 2005

Buffalo NY Economics



I'm sorry to say I missed Buffalo & Erie County Public Library's Board meeting and public hearing on Thursday. Thankfully, roving reporting Mike Rite from Channel Screw U was on the scene. He files this report...

"My favorite speaker was a black woman who said "a person with a house valued at $50k pays about $30 a year for the liberry. That's the cost of 2 large pizzas with 2 toppings."

The speaker failed to say if the price quoted is with or without a coupon from the Pennysaver. She also neglected to say whether or not a side order of chicken wings and a 2 liter of "pop" (pron. paaahp) is included. You've got to love Buffalo economic logic--putting things in terms that the obeast populace can understand.



The Library Board discussed its four year plan that will close 20 libraries and lay off about 100 workers. Libraries will see a 20% budget reduction for the rest of the year. Final plans will be revealed at the end of the month.

Today is my day off. I ran errands and had time to hit Wegmans aka Smegmans. It's a righteous supermarket from the Rochester, NY area. I t has all of the staples with an amazing selection of produce, deli, meats, and cheeses. There are a few gourmet supermarkets in the NYC area that are reminiscent of it but the prices down here are a lot better. That's why Buffalo peeps are so large and in charge. Anyway, I visited the West Seneca/South Buffalo location. As I wandered through the produce area, I spotted a rather goofy looking guy with reddish/gray hair and dork chic spectacles.
He had a rather empty headed smile and was cruising my hooters despite the fact that they were modestly displayed. Any woman around here who's under a 150lbs is considered anorexic and cruisable. I was a little curious because he was a bit unusual and he looked familiar. He looked very typically mick--gangly build,long arms, middle aged pot belly starting to form. (Btw, I'm one to judge as I'm of the mick persuasion.)
Well faith and begorrah, if it wasn't U.S. Congressman Brian Higgins! I wanted to get on his shit for a few recent votes e.g. the House bill on the Patriot Act and the Terri Schiavo business. But I didn't want to accost him in the lettuce section. His cousin cuts my hair so I'll find out what's the dilly with the Tommy Tutone hair. My second politician sighting in just over a week! Check out these comments on the Buffalo Beast blog regarding Higgins, very funny! Just scroll toward the bottom and read from "Let's move on to the world of politics..." (Special thanks to roving reporter Mike Rite for that link)

0 comments:

 
hockey fights at hockeyfights.com